Monday

Nothing Looks As Good As CrossFit Feels

Monica

A friend of mine from out of town ventured into my CrossFit box (Practice CrossFit) today just to kinda hang out and wait for our coffee date.

I have yet to convince this friend, who was no stranger to working out, to give CrossFit a try. In fact she was a figure competitor as well, looked gorgeous and had a rocking body about three weeks out from a show.

"Are you ready for a show", she asked? "No, I'm over three weeks into our six week open season", I replied. "Oh, well you look like you could step on stage right now, does Crossfit require the same diet", she asked? With a smile I said, "no, not even close. I still consume 4-5 meals a day, but I could do less, many of my athletes fast weekly, and survive well on two meals a day. I hardly eat a single carb and if I do its green. And my fat content in one meal is close to half the daily calories I was allowed when I was doing figure shows, and I never have cravings (ok almost never).

My friend stared at me as if I was lying to her. "You must be working out constantly", she said. "Well once a day five days a week, for about 5-20 minutes at a time", I muttered realizing she was becoming more and more irritated.

"Roll out" came loudly, and just in the nick of time. I think my friend was going to lynch me. She sat down and watched us go through our normal Practice CrossFit roll session, warm-up, tutorials, strength, and WOD. When our class was finished the majority of us took a knee, walked around aimlessly, or simply fell to the floor in presumable despair.

After our CF display my friend says, "I get it, its way harder that's, why it works faster, and better". I thought, If Josh was here he would clap for the simplicity of this revelation. As he says all the time, "Intensity is exactly equal to results".

"I don't want to work that hard to look good like you. I will just take it easier and pay my dues slowly," she said. At that moment I realized how far I had come from my figure days. Sure I like having Abs, a couple of veins, shoulders that are round and a booty to match, but that has really become second nature. A happy side effect to CrossFit training. "Well maybe one day you will change your mind", I told her.

All she saw was the effort, the sweat, the complicated movements. All she developed was fear. Its funny how different some people are. Some of us come into a CrossFit and never want to leave. Others only see the difficulty. Sure I wanna look good, but more importantly I wanna feel like I look good, and you can't believe how good CrossFit makes you feel until you try it.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. It seems that the only thing that is holding a lot of people back is that fear. Fear of change, fear of trying something new. There are a lot of people here that are afraid to step thru the doors into our gym because of that very fear you speak of. Thanks for that story.
    Eric @ indyshield crossfit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAO7OG077Ac&feature=related , and I would like to complement you by saying that your hard work has paid off in a beautiful and functionally fit body. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete